REWI ALLEY 120TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIONS CANTERBURY, NEW ZEALAND
DELEGATIONS TENTATIVE PROGRAMME DECEMBER 2017
FRIDAY 1ST DECEMBER 2017
- A half day symposium on recent research into Rewi Alley’s life and work arranged by the Confucius Institute at the University of Canterbury
- Christchurch City Council civic reception for visiting delegations
- City visits to locations with links to Rewi Alley including Wharenui Primary School, Riccarton, Christchurch, his second primary school and its Memorial Hall
- Also visit to the Canterbury Museum to inspect a special display of selected items from the recently documented Rewi Alley collection
SATURDAY 2nd DECEMBER 2017
- Visit the Rewi Alley Chinese School at Wharenui, Riccarton, New Zealand’s largest Chinese language school
- Leave Christchurch for a country drive to Springfield, Canterbury to visit the village where Rewi Alley was born; Selwyn District Council and Mayor Sam Broughton welcome and commemoration ceremony at Rewi Alley Memorial and Park. New Zealand Governor General Dame Patsy Reddy has been invited to officiate at this ceremony.
- Leave Springfield for a drive along foothills to Amberley, North Canterbury where Rewi Alley spent the early years of his life; unveiling of Rewi Alley Memorial Garden on the site of the school house where Rewi Alley lived. Governor General Dame Patsy Reddy has been invited to also officiate at this ceremony.
- Lunch at Amberley followed by a drive by the Main State Highway back to Christchurch city.
- Join the Christchurch Chinese Consul General reception and planting of a commemorative tree to Rewi Alley in its grounds.
- Performances or songs from the play on Rewi Alley’s life performed by the National School of Dance and Drama (TBC).
- Evening banquet for visiting delegations and dignitaries hosted by the Christchurch City Council
SUNDAY 3RD DECEMBER 2017
- Visitors and Delegations free to tour Christchurch city including further time to visit the Canterbury Museum to enjoy its extensive displays, plus the Christchurch Art Gallery
- General sightseeing around Christchurch, including the former Christchurch Boys' High School at the Christchurch Arts Centre where Rewi Alley was a pupil
- Visit Suffragists memorial which commemorates the work of Canterbury women (including Clara Alley, Rewi Alley’s mother, who was on the first National Council of Women), in gaining votes for women in New Zealand over 100 years ago
- Bridge of Remembrance War Memorial for soldiers who died in World War 1, including Rewi Alley’s brother Eric Alley.
- Delegations attending the Second New Zealand China Mayoral Forum on Monday 4th December 2017 depart for Wellington for its evening welcome ceremony
- Delegations are responsible for their own accommodation, meals and transport